What does the future hold for Street Fighter 5?

November 6, 2019
Comments off
117 Views

For years now, Yoshinori Ono has been the public face of Street Fighter. And Street Fighter’s defined his life – having fallen in love with Final Fight, Ono made a beeline for Capcom and found himself working there soon after Street Fighter 2’s release and through the series’ glory years. He became a household name, though, for helping bring Street Fighter back from the wilderness.

“This was before social media, before the internet, before Facebook,” Ono told me during an on-stage interview at last month’s EGX. “It wasn’t until I was working on Onimusha that I could see what a phenomenon it had become. I was going around with Inafune, but people would always be asking me about Street Fighter. So I went back to Capcom and said the world was ready for more Street Fighter.”

Bringing back Street Fighter wouldn’t be simple, though. “It was tough. As a company, Capcom were past making fighting games in general. It was 99.99 per cent decided that fighting games were done and dusted and we were moving on to other things. But I managed to convince [Keiji] Inafune and the then-chairman – they were like, okay we’ll give it a shot. That’s all it took for me to flip those percentages. If it hadn’t gone as well as it did, I might have been fired… I’m glad Street Fighter 4 did as well as it did.”

The series has flourished ever since – even if it hasn’t been without its struggles. Street Fighter 5 saw through a rough launch period and is now an assured fighter with one of the strongest communities around it – at EGX, the Capcom Pro Tour stage was one of the most vibrant, well-attended of the whole show. And next year it’s becoming part of the Intel World Open, a tournament that welcomes all-comers through its early online rounds before the grand finals take place alongside next year’s Olympics in Tokyo, with a $250,000 prize pot up for grabs.

Read more

Comments are closed.